Thursday, August 31, 2006

Check Up for Week 38

At this time during my pregnancy with Aveline, I was finished. Aveline was born at 38 weeks 3 days after 46 hours of labor. From here on out, it is all uncharted waters for me.

My appointment started out with the ultrasound. Not only did we do the biophysical profile today, but The Deuce's growth was checked. She looked good. She slept through most of the ultrasound. The tech had to buzz her once to get her to practice her breathing. She didn't like the buzzing, jumping wildly when it occurred. She scored another perfect score for her biophysical profile. All is normal and well. They estimated her weight to be 8 pounds 9 ounces right now. Wow. She gains roughly an ounce a day, so by the time she decides to arrive, we could be looking at birthing a toddler. One thing to remember is that ultrasound weight estimates are infamous for being off. Three days before Aveline was born, they estimated her to weigh 7 pounds 15 ounces. She tipped the scales at 6 pounds 10 ounces at birth. The tech even acknowledged that the estimates are a little on the high side. That is comforting to know.

I lost a pound this week and my blood pressure was a bit on the high side at 124 over 82. Dr. Narendran said everything looked good. I am still only 1 centimeter dilated and not effaced. We discussed contractions and the delivery. She is a bit concerned about the amount of amniotic fluid, and said if it was still high next week, she would induce me on Friday night. If the fluid level dropped a bit, she would let me go past my due date, but only five days or so. Right now, I just want a healthy baby and am willing to wait for perfection. It is much easier to care for her in utero than out. I can deal with the discomfort for a little longer if that means I can sleep a bit more!

So, for now, no baby. We will keep all of our friends and family updated on our status. Labor Watch 2006 has commenced. Barring spontaneous expulsion, it looks like a September baby!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear everything is going well. Hang in there, it wont be much longer.

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Yay, she's almost here!!!

Maybe she'll come on labor day!! LOL.

Christina said...

Hey, September has the better birthstone anyway - sapphires are far prettier than periodot.

I wouldn't put any truth in the ultrasound for weight. They said Cordy was estimated around 6 pounds, 5 ounces, and she was born 8 pounds, 4 ounces!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad all is well! Are we still on for tomorrow?

Laura said...

Labor Day would be funny.

Take care and GOOD LUCK!!