I love to bake and cook, so it is fitting that I include an occassional recipe on my blog. This coffee cake is indulgent and amazing. I found the recipe on Recipe*Zaar, my favorite recipe website. I highly recommend it for a weekend treat or easy guest pleaser. When I freed it from the pan, it reminded me of a pastry made at a bakery...it looked beautiful!
2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup margarine
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond extract
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup raspberry preserves or strawberry preserves
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour bottom and sides of 9 or 10 inch springform pan.
3. Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar.
4. Add the butter to the sugar-flour mixture and cut with pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Reserve 1 cup of crumb mixture.
6. To remaining mixture, add baking powder, soda, salt, sour cream, one egg and almond extract; blend well.
7. Spread batter over bottom and up sides of pan 2 inches (batter should be 1/4 inch thick on sides).
8. Combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 egg; blend well.
9. Pour over batter in pan.
10. Carefully spread preserves over all.
11. Combine reserved crumbs and sliced almonds.
12. Sprinkle over top.
13. Bake 55 minutes or until filling is set.
14. Cool 15 minutes.
15. Remove sides of pan.
16. Serve warm or cool.
17. Refrigerate leftovers.