Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Power Up!


Slowly, here at our humble home, every baby gadget and toy died a painful (to my ears) and unharmonic death. Our living room quickly became a graveyard for the toys whose batteries had died. Most battery operated baby gadgets don't go quietly (or in key!) taking days to finally rest. The songs generally get slower at first, like a music box churning its final revolutions. Then the lights begin to dim until finally all is dark and silent. We were out of batteries, so I waited until the granddaddy of all my battery operated toys, the swing, kicked it last night. Dan was dispatched to our local big box store to pick up a nice selection of AA, AAA, C and D batteries. We spent a good forty-five minutes reloading every gadget and toy we had with fresh juice. Our house is melodious and flashy once again.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Can totally relate! I almost purposefuly get toys now that do NOT require batteries since it seems like I'm constantly filling toys with new batteries. And the fact that you have to screw off each battery is equally a pain in the ass!

Jamie said...

Oh the sound of dying toys!! they sound evil and sick.LOL. I will usally turn them off and hide them till we get new batteries.

Chey's crib ocean player we just reloaded, that I could not turn off, what would she do with out it. LOL. Poor thing had to go to sleep with the repetitive noises. i had to turn the monitors down till I knew she was asleep and I could turn the box off.LOL. All is back to normal after putting in 3 big D batteries. Man such a little box and such big batteries.

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time Julia's swing "died" and if memory serves me right we didn't have batteries at the time. That was last time our house was battery-less.

Anonymous said...

Talk about mommy guilt...

I once robbed Shout Elmo of his batteries for the TIVO remote.... I was the worst mommy ever.

I told the kids that Elmo couldn't dance because he was sleeping...

" Maw--mee!! Maw-mee!!
Eh-mo seepin!!